iRest group programs for 11yr – 15yr girls and boys. Enrol Now!
We are now taking enrolments for the Term 2 (2018) iRest group programs at Growing Together!
iRest is a guided meditation practice that has been proved to significantly reduce symptoms of stress, worry and depression as well as improving mindfulness skills in daily life.
The Term 2, 2018 iRest group programs will be running on:
- Tuesdays evenings (5:00pm start) – commencing 24 April 2018
- 45 minute sessions
- 6 x weekly sessions
- Facilitator – Julia Parsonson (Psychologist and iRest teacher)
- Cost – $30 per session ($180 for the 6 week program) – MHCP rebates may apply
- Suitable for girls and boys aged between 11yrs and 15yrs.
What is iRest?
iRest comes from a yogic philosophy and is similar to Yoga Nidra, a form of deep mediation. It is not ‘typical yoga’ in that there is only a small amount of movement at the start, to help us get in touch with the present moment and with our bodies. For most of the session, you lie comfortably while you are guided through a mediation.
More details about the program:
In the six week course we work through a set programme that will help you to be able to feel more relaxed, less anxious or depressed, more alert and more able to regulate your emotions.
Each week is similar, but we build upon the practice week-by-week, which is why it is better to attend all six weeks to achieve maximum benefits.
In the iRest sessions we focus on the following skills:
- Exploring and developing our intention (what we wish for ourselves)
- Building our inner resource (our ‘happy place’ and feelings of safety and security)
- Experiencing body sensitivity training, proven to increase emotional regulation
- Experiencing breathing techniques, breath awareness, build our attention skills
- Developing the ability to cope with uncomfortable sensations, emotions and thoughts
- Experiencing joy and wellbeing.
Clinical studies have shown iRest to be effective in a huge range of areas. It was initially developed as a treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) but can also reduce anxiety, depression; improve mood; and build concentration skills.
There is lots more information online at irest.org.au or use google scholar to find out more about the research base.
Please wear something warm and comfortable. When we meditate for long periods of time our body temperature can drop slightly.
Blankets and cushions will be provided, but you may like to bring a pillow to make you even more comfortable.
Anyone can do this practice. The only skill you need is to be able to listen, and to be willing to experience a meditative practice.
It may also help to know that Julia has been practicing Yoga Nidra for around 18 months now and has loved it so much she trained in iRest to help her clients experience the benefits.
Call the clinic today to enrol your adolescent into the program!